lmi

Re: [lmi] Group-quote PDF: whitespace changes, and enhancement

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group-quote PDF: whitespace changes, and enhancement
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 20:22:18 +0100

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:09:50 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Thanks, this change fixes the problem at hand, so I've committed it.
GC> But now please help me understand it: I think I just don't quite
GC> understand exactly what the variable names mean.

 Yes, this should have been arguably documented somewhere. As usual, this
didn't happen because initially it was just a fixed value, so clear as to
not require any comment, and so didn't have any, but later it started being
adjusted dynamically in the code, but the comment still wasn't written.

 Anyhow, column_margin_ is the margin on the left _and_ the right of each
column, i.e. every column has 2*column_margin_ padding effectively. Initial
code contained a comparison of per-column overflow with column_margin_
just because I thought it would be nice to keep at least 50% of the margins
to avoid columns running too close to each other and, to be fair, this was
documented in the comment

        // If we have only fixed columns, try to make them fit by decreasing
        // the margins around them if this can help, assuming that we can
        // reduce them by up to half if really needed.

but, again, I understand that this wasn't very explicit.

 Hopefully this answers your question, please let me know if you'd like me
to update/add the comment or if you'd prefer to do it yourself.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ