lmi

Re: [lmi] lmi + wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1) = purple fungus

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] lmi + wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1) = purple fungus
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 01:46:58 +0000

On 2018-03-06 23:20, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 22:53:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> On the first page, I see almost everything except that date field.
>
>  The only controls I see are the listbox, with its "Policy" label, the
> "Effective date" label with or without the accompanying date field
> depending on whether "Windows Version" is set to "XP" or "10" in winecfg,
> the comments field with its label and the 3 buttons. I don't see anything
> else...

Let me be paraphrase that to be sure I understand. I think you're
saying that
  <emphasis> with "Windows Version" set to "XP" <emphasis>
  <emphasis>   AND ALSO  <emphasis>
  <emphasis> with "Windows Version" set to "10" <emphasis>
you see only a small handful of the controls that should be present.
To repeat, setting it to "10" doesn't help, and setting it to "XP"
also doesn't help--either way, numerous controls are missing, so...

> [...] What I see (or rather don't see) is much more
> serious however, as it makes the problem unusable.

...it's utterly unusable. Is that really what you're saying?

If so, then I guess I'm just very lucky that "XP" works for me.

> GC> > (i.e. the appearance still remains the same, using the "classic" theme).
> GC>
> GC> Where did you get that? On winecfg's "Desktop Integration"
> GC> tab, I have an "Appearance" groupbox with a "Theme:" combobox
> GC> that contains only a single item, "(No Theme)". Did you click
> GC> on "Install theme..." and actually find a theme you could
> GC> install? (In what directory?) Did you download a theme?
>
>  No, sorry for the confusion, all I did was to change the "Windows Version"
> in the first tab of winecfg. By "classic" theme I just mean that it still
> uses the same "Windows 95" look that you would get on any non-archaic (i.e.
> XP+) desktop MSW system if you selected the classic theme in the
> "Appearance" control panel applet.

Ah. It's "the classic theme", not the "Classic" theme.

When I used to run actual msw-xp, I always picked the "Classic" theme
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(i.e., a combobox item of that name) because that was only way to get
"the classic theme" (i.e., the msw-95 look and feel we all love best).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
With wine, picking the "(No Theme)" theme gives me "the classic theme":
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i.e., it looks like msw-95, right out of the box.

Thanks, I understand now. We're doing the same thing in this respect,
so it becomes even weirder that it's usable for me but not for you.

> GC> Did you install any optional wine package other than the one
> GC> known to apt-get simply as 'wine'? E.g., 'winetricks'?
>
>  No, I didn't install any suggested packages (which includes winetricks,
> but also winbind, playonlinux, wine-binfmt and dosbox).

I also have installed only the 'wine' package, and none of those others.

> GC> [...] Everything I did
> GC> is exactly documented in 'README.schroot'; what am I missing?
>
>  I didn't follow exactly the same instructions, but the only potentially
> significant difference I see is that I didn't run "wineboot" and I just
> moved my existing ~/.wine away and ran the command given in the README,
> then only adjusted the PATH to point to my DLLs, and I still see the same
> thing. This is getting curiousier and curiousier...
Then we're apparently following equivalent steps to set up systems
that should be equivalent, but aren't.

My only "magical" step is:
  WINEDLLOVERRIDES=mscoree=d wine wineboot
which, as detailed here:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2016-10/msg00002.html
is intended only to avoid an annoying messagebox when wine starts,
so it doesn't seem magical enough to explain what we're seeing.

Are you running wine in a chroot? a container? your base system?
I install it only in a chroot (I know, GNU/Linux chroot != BSD jail,
but I figure weak isolation is better than no isolation).