lmi

Re: [lmi] lmi + wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1) = purple fungus

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] lmi + wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1) = purple fungus
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 00:20:10 +0100

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 22:53:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2018-03-06 14:54, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:32:16 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> >
GC> > GC> Vadim--Do you happen yet to have experienced the astonishment of
GC> > GC> running lmi under wine-3.0?
GC> >
GC> >  I have finally installed a new Buster (i386, to avoid having to install
32
GC> > bit Wine packages into a 64-bit system) chroot with Wine 3.0, rebuilt lmi
GC> > using gcc 7.2 and ran it -- and I don't see anything purple nor any fungi
GC> > anywhere...
GC>
GC> You've spent more time on nethack than I. Maybe you just don't feel
GC> the effects of purple fungus any more.

 On the contrary, purple things are the most dangerous ones in NH, so I
should have strongly reacted to a purple fungus instinctively. But it
probably had put on its ring of invisibility before I had a chance to
notice it.

GC> On the first page, I see almost everything except that date field.

 The only controls I see are the listbox, with its "Policy" label, the
"Effective date" label with or without the accompanying date field
depending on whether "Windows Version" is set to "XP" or "10" in winecfg,
the comments field with its label and the 3 buttons. I don't see anything
else...

GC> If I switch back to "XP" and don't restart lmi, there's no change.
GC> But when I then close and restart lmi, everything's normal--or as
GC> normal as it ever has been with wine:
GC>  - some curious truncation, like "Reduce premiur" because the 'm'
GC>    got chopped off, so it looks like a Latin third-person passive,
GC>    while "Gross rat" suggests something nightmarish
GC>  - XRC resizing actually works, at least if I increase the size;
GC>    but it apparently redraws the dialog to every size along the
GC>    path I dragged the mouse, redrawing and redrawing and redrawing
GC>    until finally it's correct some seconds later
GC>  - XRC resizing should impose a minimum size beyond which the
GC>    dialog can no longer be shrunk; but with wine, it redraws and
GC>    redraws and then...just clips; I can resize it to a rectangle
GC>    about as high as any toolbar button, and one-fifth as wide
GC>  - spinctrls chop off half of the rightmost digit: 48 becomes 4Є,
GC>    and 50 looks like 5C
GC>  - alt-hyphen just beeps at me: it doesn't pull down the MDI
GC>    system menu; yet maybe I'm the only person who ever did that

 No, there are at least 2 of us.

GC> But I've learned to live happily enough with all of this.

 Yes, all of them seem like relatively minor Wine bugs and life is probably
too short to try to fix them. What I see (or rather don't see) is much more
serious however, as it makes the problem unusable.

GC> Either way--msw-10 or msw-xp--I get
GC>   In file ../src/msw/mdi.cpp at line 1491: 'SendMessage(WM_MDISETMENU)'
failed with error 0x00000578 (Invalid window handle.).
GC> on the console, once only, each time I start lmi; that didn't
GC> happen with "wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2)", but it happens now in
GC> "buster" with "wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1)".
GC>
GC> The only other regression with the new wine is that grayed-out
GC> toolbar buttons seem to be two-bit rather than sixteen-bit
GC> grayscale.

 Yes, I see this as well.

GC> > (i.e. the appearance still remains the same, using the "classic" theme).
GC>
GC> Where did you get that? On winecfg's "Desktop Integration"
GC> tab, I have an "Appearance" groupbox with a "Theme:" combobox
GC> that contains only a single item, "(No Theme)". Did you click
GC> on "Install theme..." and actually find a theme you could
GC> install? (In what directory?) Did you download a theme?

 No, sorry for the confusion, all I did was to change the "Windows Version"
in the first tab of winecfg. By "classic" theme I just mean that it still
uses the same "Windows 95" look that you would get on any non-archaic (i.e.
XP+) desktop MSW system if you selected the classic theme in the
"Appearance" control panel applet.

GC> Did you install any optional wine package other than the one
GC> known to apt-get simply as 'wine'? E.g., 'winetricks'?

 No, I didn't install any suggested packages (which includes winetricks,
but also winbind, playonlinux, wine-binfmt and dosbox).

GC> I know I've been puzzled in the past that you had themes
GC> and I did not, but we each just performed a fresh "buster"
GC> installation, so we should have exactly the same thing AFAICS;
GC> yet you have a "Custom" theme and I do not. Everything I did
GC> is exactly documented in 'README.schroot'; what am I missing?

 I didn't follow exactly the same instructions, but the only potentially
significant difference I see is that I didn't run "wineboot" and I just
moved my existing ~/.wine away and ran the command given in the README,
then only adjusted the PATH to point to my DLLs, and I still see the same
thing. This is getting curiousier and curiousier...

VZ