lmi

Re: [lmi] lmi + wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1) = purple fungus

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] lmi + wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1) = purple fungus
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 22:53:30 +0000

On 2018-03-06 14:54, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:32:16 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> Vadim--Do you happen yet to have experienced the astonishment of
> GC> running lmi under wine-3.0?
>
>  I have finally installed a new Buster (i386, to avoid having to install 32
> bit Wine packages into a 64-bit system) chroot with Wine 3.0, rebuilt lmi
> using gcc 7.2 and ran it -- and I don't see anything purple nor any fungi
> anywhere...

You've spent more time on nethack than I. Maybe you just don't feel
the effects of purple fungus any more. But now I know the antidote,
so I'll unfix it temporarily (i.e., change from msw-xp to msw-10)
and compare my observations to yours.

> The layout of the "File|New|Illustration" seems broken and
> shows only the "Effective date" field on the first page for some reason,
> but this might be due to something being not up to date in my data
> directory.

On the first page, I see almost everything _except_ that date field.
I see the accompanying static text "Effective date" to the left of
where the date field should be. I see several other controls, which
are laid out in a manner vaguely reminiscent of what I would expect,
but the tabbed dialog has been resized to occupy the whole MDI area
(the "parent frame" or whatever it's called). I can change this
dialog's size, but that produces clipping rather than the attractive
resizing expected with XRC.

I think some controls are missing on this screen. Certainly the OK
and Cancel buttons are missing--the whole rectangle in which they
should appear is absent. Also absent is the rectangle that normally
contains four really wide textctrls toward the bottom. And the date
controls aren't there, either.

> GC> Of course, I'm using 192 DPI, which might be a contributing factor.
>
>  I use 200 DPI. I also use "XP" version in the combobox on the first page
> of winecfg dialog, but changing it to "10" doesn't seem to change anything

If I switch back to "XP" and don't restart lmi, there's no change.
But when I then close and restart lmi, everything's normal--or as
normal as it ever has been with wine:
 - some curious truncation, like "Reduce premiur" because the 'm'
   got chopped off, so it looks like a Latin third-person passive,
   while "Gross rat" suggests something nightmarish
 - XRC resizing actually works, at least if I increase the size;
   but it apparently redraws the dialog to every size along the
   path I dragged the mouse, redrawing and redrawing and redrawing
   until finally it's correct some seconds later
 - XRC resizing should impose a minimum size beyond which the
   dialog can no longer be shrunk; but with wine, it redraws and
   redraws and then...just clips; I can resize it to a rectangle
   about as high as any toolbar button, and one-fifth as wide
 - spinctrls chop off half of the rightmost digit: 48 becomes 4Є,
   and 50 looks like 5C
 - alt-hyphen just beeps at me: it doesn't pull down the MDI
   system menu; yet maybe I'm the only person who ever did that
But I've learned to live happily enough with all of this.

Either way--msw-10 or msw-xp--I get
  In file ../src/msw/mdi.cpp at line 1491: 'SendMessage(WM_MDISETMENU)' failed
with error 0x00000578 (Invalid window handle.).
on the console, once only, each time I start lmi; that didn't
happen with "wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2)", but it happens now in
"buster" with "wine-3.0 (Debian 3.0-1)".

The only other regression with the new wine is that grayed-out
toolbar buttons seem to be two-bit rather than sixteen-bit
grayscale. But I don't often click on grayed-out buttons, so
this doesn't inconvenience me.

> (i.e. the appearance still remains the same, using the "classic" theme).

Where did you get that? On winecfg's "Desktop Integration"
tab, I have an "Appearance" groupbox with a "Theme:" combobox
that contains only a single item, "(No Theme)". Did you click
on "Install theme..." and actually find a theme you could
install? (In what directory?) Did you download a theme?

Did you install any optional wine package other than the one
known to apt-get simply as 'wine'? E.g., 'winetricks'?

I know I've been puzzled in the past that you had themes
and I did not, but we each just performed a fresh "buster"
installation, so we should have exactly the same thing AFAICS;
yet you have a "Custom" theme and I do not. Everything I did
is exactly documented in 'README.schroot'; what am I missing?

> GC> For now, I'll just copy and paste the console messages:
> GC>
> GC> $wine ./lmi_wx_shared.exe --ash_nazg --data_path=/opt/lmi/data
> GC> In file ../src/msw/mdi.cpp at line 1491: 'SendMessage(WM_MDISETMENU)'
> failed with error 0x00000578 (Invalid window handle.).
> GC> 0009:err:datetime:DATETIME_WindowProc unknown msg 100f wp=00000000
> lp=006b7fcc
> GC> 0009:err:datetime:DATETIME_WindowProc unknown msg 100f wp=00000000
> lp=006b874c
>
>  Interestingly enough, I did see the first message with an old (gcc 6.3)
> build of lmi I had, but now that I rebuilt everything using the latest
> sources, I don't see it any more. I do still see the 2 other ones however.

Here, with stretch + gcc-6.3, I never saw such console messages.
But with buster + gcc-7.2 I see the DATETIME_WindowProc only with
msw-10, not with msw-xp; yet the MDI error 578 occurs no matter
which msw emulation I choose.

I've copied an old gcc-6.3 release from last Halloween into my
"buster" chroot now, just to see what happens. It behaves exactly
the same way as buster + gcc-7.2 + msw-xp above: MDI error 578,
but no other console message. So that MDI-578 thing is a buster
regression.