lmi

Re: [lmi] Messages on stderr from building wx

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Messages on stderr from building wx
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 03:36:28 +0100

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 01:27:31 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> /home/greg/src/lmi[0]$time make $coefficiency -f install_wx.make >/dev/null
GC> /bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to samples
GC> make[1]: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
GC> /bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to samples
GC> make[1]: [distclean] Error 2 (ignored)
GC> make: [all] Error 1 (ignored)

 This is due to the use of --without-subdirs configure option: it prevents
it from creating the makefiles under samples and so the samples directory
itself is not created neither. It would be possible to conditionally use
"samples" in "make [dist]clean", but it has just somehow never seemed like
being worth the trouble.

GC> That's from the clean targets; it may not be worth doing anything to
GC> suppress such messages.
GC>
GC> configure: WARNING: type_traits: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
preprocessor!
GC> configure: WARNING: type_traits: proceeding with the compiler's result

 I've actually already fixed this in this recent commit:

https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/commit/b67ca545ccbdc6c1326d8aaa2da7a8e601a4a96a

GC> There's that weirdness again.
GC>
GC> configure: WARNING: Defaulting to the builtin regex library for Unicode
build.

 This one is just due to the fact that we never switched to a regex library
with Unicode support. It's a long standing TODO as it would be better to
use a better tested and more actively developed regex library rather than
our own code, but, again, this just hasn't ever been really urgent. Still,
it's almost certainly useless to warn anybody about it, especially now that
Unicode build is not only the default but practically the only used one, so
we should probably at least remove the warning...

GC> configure: WARNING: zlib library not found or too old, will use built-in
instead
GC> Here, the only thing I think remarkable is that MinGW-w64 provides zlib,
GC> and it's...too old?

 I don't think the cross-compiler provides zlib, only the native compiler
includes it. At least I can't find zlib.h on my system and, looking in
config.log, neither can configure.

GC> configure: WARNING: Assuming Unix98 printf() is not available,
GC> define HAVE_UNIX98_PRINTF as 1 in setup.h if it is available.
GC>
GC> I guess this means extensions like the '$' here:
GC>   printf("%2$*1$d", width, num);
GC> that are SUSv2 but not C99.

 Exactly.

GC> configure: WARNING: Catching fatal exceptions not currently supported on
this system, wxApp::OnFatalException will not be called

GC> No SEH; that's understood.
GC>
GC> config.status: WARNING:  '../../../src/expat/Makefile.in' seems to ignore
the --datarootdir setting

GC> I don't recall seeing that warning in prior years.

 It's harmless and we don't want to touch the 3rd party code in src/expat
too much.

GC> make $coefficiency -f install_wx.make > /dev/null  1778.10s user 163.29s
system 660% cpu 4:54.09 total
GC> /home/greg/src/lmi[0]$echo $coefficiency
GC> --jobs=8
GC> /home/greg/src/lmi[0]$uname -a
GC> Linux debian8b 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3
(2016-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

GC> BTW: less than five minutes, in a VM with only eight cores.

 I'd still expect it to be faster. I'll try to check g++5 one of these
days.
VZ