lmi

Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group premium quotes: UI
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:29:08 +0000

On 2015-07-16 21:36, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> become
> GC> >
> GC> >  (it can put a button with a drop down menu, which is the more standard
> UI
> GC> > for this kind of things)
> GC>
> GC> Good. Then it'll be like this:
> GC>   http://virt-tools.org/learning/start-vm-with-virt-manager/force-off.png
>
>  Just a note: this is implemented now, but we need at least the new icon
> for the new "Print group premium quotes" menu item for consistency with the
> "Print roster to spreadsheet" item in the same submenu

The lack of consistency there doesn't bother me so much, now that I look at it;
and creating new icons isn't my greatest talent or my most burning desire, so
I'm thinking of just leaving this alone.

> and we might also
> want to update the icon for the toolbar "Print roster" drop down button to
> make it more clear that it can be used both for exporting the roster in a
> spreadsheet-friendly format and printing group premium quotes.

These icons are Art; each end user may find a different, personal meaning
in them, and who am I to say they mean something else?

>  Alternatively, we could actually just use separate items instead of
> submenu/drop down in the toolbar

We could, but then we'll need another if we add one more report, then
perhaps another, and...I fear we might come to regret it.

> because IMHO things don't look that great
> with the current UI. There are two reasons for this:
>
> - "Print roster" sub menu stands out as the only item in the "Census" menu
>   to not have a bitmap (and it can't have one, MSW doesn't support bitmaps
>   for the sub menu items without making them entirely owner drawn and we
>   almost certainly don't want to do this).

I think we can just decide to live with this.

> - The drop down toolbar button doesn't get disabled even if both of the
>   items in its submenu are disabled, which is a bit strange (although non
>   fatal as pressing it still doesn't do anything). This one could actually
>   be a bug in wxMSW and I'll look at whether it really is one if we decide
>   to keep this UI.

The lack of disablement is kind of ugly, so would you please look into
whether it's a fixable problem?