lmi

Re: [lmi] System crashes with invalid input using input sequence GUI

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] System crashes with invalid input using input sequence GUI
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 23:15:00 +0000

On 2015-05-20 23:31, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  I did end up by modifying wxWidgets to make sure such crashes do not
> happen in the future, see commit[1]. However lmi UI still behaves
> surprisingly (at least I personally find the behaviour described in [2]
> quite unusual) even with that fix and I think this really needs to be fixed
> at lmi level instead, so updating your wxWidgets version is not currently
> required -- even though it's arguably always better to use a version in
> which this crash can never happen.

We have only about one month to finish a major project. I'll ask Kim what
she thinks when she's back in the office Monday, but I'd be disinclined to
update wx again before July. For the same reason, as much as I dislike
segfaults, given that this one has been in production since "March 2014",
we can wait until July to fix it.

>  The patch below just disables the spin control if there is no valid range
> for it. I am not sure if it's the best solution UI-wise, but I can't think
> of anything better right now and it does fix the crash (even without the
> updated wxWidgets). A possible alternative would be to disable the "Add"
> button if there are no valid values for the controls in a new row

At first blush, disabling the "Add" button seems more natural to me, but
I haven't thought about it as deeply as you have, and might change my mind.
Right now, I can't spend time on this, so I'll postpone it until July.