lmi

[lmi] 'build' and 'host' in wx configury [Was: To configure wx-2.6.2]

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] 'build' and 'host' in wx configury [Was: To configure wx-2.6.2]
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:24:11 +0000

On 2007-11-30 11:59Z, Greg Chicares wrote:

> The "Subject:" header is a little outdated: I'm using the wx-2.8.6
> tarball from ftp.wxwidgets.org .

[...currently, wx-2.8.9; soon to be a wx-2.9 snapshot...]

> Options to 'configure' are given here
>   http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/lmi/lmi/install_wx.make
> and seem generally unremarkable. The only thing that looks a bit
> weird to me is that I'm using the MinGW gcc toolchain in a Cygwin
> shell,

That would seem to suggest:

  ./configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin \
  --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \

where 'build' != 'host'.

> but I'm not yet specifying
>   --build=i686-pc-mingw32
>    --host=i686-pc-mingw32

But that says the opposite: 'build' == 'host'.

> which would seem to be a good practice, e.g. according to:
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg00837.html

However, this message from the Cygwin autotools maintainer:
calls that a bad practice, and explains his reasoning. See also:

> Ultimately I suppose I will specify build and host that way;
> I haven't yet because it is known to work without specifying
> them, and I want to get this build environment completely
> stabilized before making any change.

I've rebuilt the whole system, including wx, libxml2, and libxslt,
entirely from scratch, using

  --build=i686-pc-cygwin \
  --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \

and everything seems to work. Here's my question: do you see any
reason not to configure that way, given that I'm building in a
Cygwin environment, using a MinGW toolchain, and producing native
msw binaries that run outside the Cygwin environment?