lmi

Re: [lmi] Custom wxArtProvider affects html help toolbar buttons

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] Custom wxArtProvider affects html help toolbar buttons
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:13:10 +0100

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 00:05 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Apparently 16x15 (fifteen) is the wxArtProvider::GetSizeHint() default
> for most if not all icons in wx-2.8.9 for msw (not just for frame icons).
> I have this comment in 'icon_monger.cpp':
>
> /// For platforms with standard interface guidelines, GetSizeHint()
> /// does the right thing; but for msw it just returns 16 by 15 because
> /// there's no standard practice, so hardcoded sizes are given here.
>
> and I think you're saying that a future version of wx will return
> 16x16 (both sixteen), so someday I ought to change my comment thus:
> - /// does the right thing; but for msw it just returns 16 by 15 because
> + /// does the right thing; but for msw it just returns 16 by 16 because
>                                                                ^
> Have I understood correctly?

Actually, the entire comment should be removed after you switch to wx3,
wxArtProvider now does the right thing (i.e. return 24x24 for toolbar
items, 16x16 for menu items etc.) on MSW too on wx trunk.

> How can I make the html help toolbar show larger icons? I tried adding
> 24x24 icons, but the toolbar shows only 16x16 pieces of them.

There's a bug (or limitation if you will, but in any case a defect) in
wxMSW: unlike wxGTK, it doesn't determine toolbar size from the size of
the bitmaps used, but uses the size set with SetToolBitmapSize(), with
16x15 being the default. I thought Vadim fixed this since I wrote the
email you replied to here -- I'll check and if not, I'll (try to) do it
myself.

In other words, this won't work until the next wx-2.8 version (unless
you use a patched version of wx).

Regards,
Vaclav