lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Managing multiple wx versions

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Managing multiple wx versions
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:15:35 +0100

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:24:04 +0100 Vaclav Slavik <address@hidden> wrote:

VS> On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 19:37 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
VS> > $(config_options) already includes a 'VENDOR' designation,
VS> > which is currently based on `gcc -dumpversion`. I have the
VS> > full wx version available in a variable already; should I
VS> > append that to 'VENDOR', or is there a cleaner way?
VS>
VS> Setting the vendor string is the only way I know about (and I'd rather
VS> not add the option to include full version to wx's build system, because
VS> it would complicate it even further).

 I'm not sure if it would complicate it that much because we already do
have an option to use x.y.z in the DLL names as we do this for odd values
of y. So in principle we could have an option "use micro version in DLL
name" and just set its default value differently depending on minor%2.
It could even make the logic a bit more transparent.

VS> If you were only concerned with knowing the exact version of a wx DLL,
VS> you could get it from DLL's metadata (aka file Properties in Explorer)
VS> instead of from the filename. But if you want to run different LMI
VS> versions, with different wx-2.8 binaries, from the same directory (is
VS> this really a good idea?), then the vendor string is the only way.

 FWIW I don't know of any other way (except the obvious ones such as
linking statically or putting DLLs in different directories and copying the
program to both of them) to use 2 different versions of wx 2.8.

 Regards,
VZ