lmi

[lmi] running tests and examining their output

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] running tests and examining their output
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 03:01:14 +0200

 Hello,

 Currently running "make check" when using the automake-generated makefiles
produces many thousands lines of output and so basically doesn't provide
any useful information except the few lines at the end:

$ make check
... tons of output (e.g. 3712 lines for just test_round) ...
=================================
10 of 51 tests failed
Please report to address@hidden
=================================
make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

Of course now I'd like to know which 10 of the tests failed but the only
reasonable way to find it out is to do "make check 2>/dev/null|fgrep FAIL"
which works but doesn't show any information about why the tests failed so
I have to rerun them manually.

 Am I missing some way to run the tests so that they only output something
in case of failure as I'd expect?

 Also, would it be possible to have an environment variable which would
work as "-a" command line switch and suppress the licence output? I'd
really like to minimize the amount of output not indicating any errors
produced by the tests (at least by default). Alternatively, it would be
nice if the errors went to stderr -- then I could just redirect stdout to
/dev/null.

 Of course, once again, it's perfectly possible that I'm just missing
something in which case I'd be glad to learn it. But naively running the
tests like I do it now seems to be very inconvenient.

 Thanks in advance for any advice,
VZ