lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:39:22 +0200

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:23:55 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Alternatively, is there a better way of distinguishing, e.g., three
GC> print operations, iconically? Differentiating them only by color
GC> might work, and would at least be visually discernible.

 A somewhat orthogonal question: do we really need to distinguish them
iconically? What about having a drop-down toolbar button with the print
icon showing a menu with 3 choices (either as icon -- but a standalone one
so it should be much simpler to make it recognizable -- or simply text) for
the 3 different print commands?

 I'm usually opposed to using drop down toolbar buttons because toolbar is
supposed to contain buttons giving _quick_ access to common operations and
a drop down slows access down but here it seems to be appropriate and the
print operation is not invoked so often as to make an extra menu choice too
much of an obstacle IMHO.

GC> Yet another option is to revert to the icon set used by our legacy
GC> application.

 Subjectively, I don't like the icons in that set much but OTOH I think
it's always better to use a distinctive icon theme for a program if
possible because the standard icons are certainly nice but there are simply
not enough of them and using a mix of custom and standard icons is the
worst you can do. So if the old icon set is complete or you have
possibility to create more icons in the same style, it could be a better
choice.

 Regards,
VZ