lmi

Re: [lmi] Does wxDOC_NEW override wxDOC_SILENT?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Does wxDOC_NEW override wxDOC_SILENT?
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:14:20 +0200

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:03:17 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> I suppose that, instead of changing the flags in the patch
GC> below, I could test whether the file exists, create it if it
GC> doesn't, and then call CreateDocument() with wxDOC_SILENT as
GC> in cvs without that patch. But is there a more natural way?

 AFAICS using wxDOC_NEW | wxDOC_SILENT should have been this natural way
but it isn't. I don't see any valid reason for this, it should be possible
to find the template for a new file from its name (well, extension) just as
well as it can be done for an existing one. So I could modify wx to behave
like this, would this be useful?

GC> BTW, I'm still using wx-2.8.7 .

 I think it should be safe to modify wx 2.8 to work like this too because I
don't see why would anybody _want_ to have the template choice dialog when
wxDOC_SILENT is used and this would be the only user-observable change
AFAICS.

 Of course, this still won't help you immediately, unless you are ready to
upgrade to the latest 2.8 svn version. As usual, normally there should be
no problems with doing it as only perfectly safe changes are supposed to be
applied to 2.8 branch but, well, we've made mistakes in the past so I won't
claim that they couldn't have happened again...

 Regards,
VZ