lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Re: To configure wx-2.6.2

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Re: To configure wx-2.6.2
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:52:25 +0100

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:41:03 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > # Options that we might not require, but want anyway:
GC> >  --enable-stl
GC> >  --enable-std_iostreams
GC> >  --enable-debug
GC>
GC> Auditing this today, I find that we've been using
GC>   --enable-debug_info
GC> instead of
GC>   --enable-debug
GC> in production; I believe we should use the latter instead,
GC> after careful testing.

 I'm not sure how appropriate this would be. The debug build of wxWidgets
is meant for developers and not end users. Of course, LMI users are a more
limited/closed group than usual so maybe it does make sense in this
particular case but some adjustments still may need to be made. For
example, I don't think it's really useful to show assert messages to them
so you may want to override wxApp::OnAssertFailure().

 I also wonder if you need --enable-debug_info (--enable-debug is a
superposition of --enable-debug_info and --enable-debug_flag and so
includes it). This makes the library enormously bigger, especially when
using gcc, without any benefits that I can see as the users, even LMI ones,
are unlikely to be running it under gdb. So maybe you should be using just
--enable-debug_flag (which enables asserts and other features controlled by
__WXDEBUG__)?

 Regards,
VZ