lmi

Re: [lmi] Entity rsquo

From: Evgeniy Tarassov
Subject: Re: [lmi] Entity rsquo
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:10:15 +0200

On 6/28/07, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2007-06-28 11:56Z, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:

It's the usual encoding for a typesetting apostrophe:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Computers_and_Unicode

Thanks for the link -- I've learned a lot about apostrophe from the
'Talk:' page and from a link to corresponding section of Unicode
standard:
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr8/#Apostrophe%20Semantics%20Errata

> This symbol belongs to a quotation pair and should be used with the
> matching &lsquo; symbol.

So it is incorrect -- &rsquo; (according to Unicode standard) should
be used both as right quotation apostrophe and as single quotation
mark.

What would be the right way to detect all problems of this variety,
everywhere? Here's my naive attempt:

I've used this construct to detect non-ASCII characters in *.xsl files:
for file in *.xsl; do
 echo "File: $file"
 xmllint --encode ASCII $file | diff -B -I '<\?xml' $file - | wc
done

This shows that *.xsl are in ASCII. Grepping for '&#' shows that there
are no other entities on the loose: only &nbsp;, &nl;, &tab;, &rsquo;
(which is going to be removed).

--
Best wishes,
Evgeniy Tarassov