lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] Running external programs like 'fop' from lmi

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] Running external programs like 'fop' from lmi
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:47:02 +0200

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:20:15 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > 2) When the error output is too large the message box won't fit on the
GC> > screen (vertically), as a result 'Ok' button is invisible and user
GC> > could guess and type <Enter>, or close the dialog via small button or
GC> > via <escape>. This could be fixed by using a custom dialog window with
GC> > scrollbars when needed. It could also go into wx -- a change that
GC> > would either add a flag wxSHOW_SCROLLBARS, or add scrollbars
GC> > automatically when needed.
GC>
GC> I'd be happy to see such a change in wx, if the maintainers
GC> like the idea.

 I like the idea in principle but it's impossible to implement it with a
native message box. So while we could have something like this, it wouldn't
look right (on any platform) and so it doesn't seem like it would be a good
idea to show it just because an innocently looking style was specified.
OTOH it could be useful to add a separate function showing a possibly long
message comfortably to the user. Maybe even simply modify the default
wxLogDialog to use something other than wxMessageBox in this case: as it
already doesn't use the native message box when there is more than one log
message and already has "Save" button, I actually think this would be the
best thing. But I don't know if you're ready to use wxLogXXX() instead of
wxMessageBox() in LMI -- are you?

GC> Since we're discussing a change to wxMessageBox, let me suggest
GC> another: add a flag like wxSHOW_COPY_BUTTON, which would
GC>
GC> (a) Visually inform the user that such a facility is available.
GC> On msw, Ctrl-C does this, but few people know that, and I have
GC> received screen-print bitmaps in email that use hundreds of
GC> kilobytes just to show me a brief text diagnostic.
GC>
GC> (b) Improve on what Ctrl-C does on msw by filtering out the

 Again, this is not something we can do with the native dialog
unfortunately. And this is also something which we could/should add to the
wx log dialog. Please open a bug if you want to spend some time (it
shouldn't take very long) on improving it.

 Thanks!
VZ