lmi

RE: [lmi] Why not DBL_MAX?

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: RE: [lmi] Why not DBL_MAX?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:12:41 -0400

Greg Chicares wrote:

> As a general rule, I'd rather not attempt to correct invalid
> input automatically. In my experience, that takes a lot of
> effort and doesn't please users. Often the "correction" is
> incorrect.
>
> IIRC, a user who tries to save a file that violates the rules
> gets an error message. Wendy, would you please take a look at
> the current behavior and say whether you think it's already
> good enough? Following the behavior of the legacy application
> may be good enough for now. We could consider expanding it
> in some really simple way, if we can devise one, but I think
> it best to keep this very simple.

The behavior is good enough in that it doesn't allow the file
to be saved, but I think it may still need a little work because
I wasn't able to correct the problem.

> For instance, I think we've already got:
>   if highest limit isn't what it must be
>     then complain about that in a messagebox
>     (only when attempting to save the file)

I think the complaint can be a little less cryptic. Right now,
I see:

---------------------------
Error
---------------------------
Assertion '(.999 * DBL_MAX) < limits_.back()' failed.
[file c:/opt/lmi/src/lmi/stratified_charges.cpp, line 140]

---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I really like your suggestion below that offers a clearer
message.

> If that's working well enough, but it's the only test, then
> we might add:
>   if any band isn't positive
>     then complain as above: "All bands must be positive"
>   if bands aren't uniformly increasing
>     then complain about that as above
>
> Let's think carefully before doing much more than that.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is
intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is
addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by
any person other than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete all copies.