lmi

RE: Re[2]: [lmi] first version of multi dimensional data editor control

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: RE: Re[2]: [lmi] first version of multi dimensional data editor control checked in
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:15:20 -0500

Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:01:56 -0500 "Boutin, Wendy"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> BW> How are the dimensions determined? For example, a product parameter
> BW> might have three dimensions for one product and four dimensions for
> BW> another.
>
>  Sorry, do you mean "how are they determined by the programmer" or "by the
> user"?

I originally meant "by the user".

> If you mean "the programmer", then I can give a more detailed answer
> but if you mean "the user" then I don't think this is supported

I think we need that support though.

> -- the axis
> (or dimensions) used are determined by the program logic. But, of course,
> nothing prevents the programmer from using different axis for different
> products.

Are you saying that we are to control that logic in lmi?

> BW> The old product editor has a 'change axes' button that,
> BW> when clicked, displays another GUI with the available dimensions.
>
>  Yes, but now you just choose the dimensions to show in the X/Y axis
> directly, without having to use a separate mode -- I thought we agreed this
> was better UI-wise.

I agree with you on that specific point.

I think there's just one variable that varies across all axes in the
current prototype, but we really need to be able to change the
dimensionality of the axes. Almost all of our data varies on fewer
than all axes, usually three or four of the seven available, but
there's no way to limit the axes that shouldn't vary.

> BW> Based on the mailing list discussions, I expected to see an extra
> BW> pop-up dialog, but its not there. Is there something equivalent
> BW> that I'm missing?
>
>  No, there are no popup dialogs but, AFAICS, none are needed.Unless I'm
> missing something in turn?

I got that impression from Greg's email here
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2005-08/msg00039.html
which discusses the popup dialog.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.