lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] shared libstdc++ for mingw32

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] shared libstdc++ for mingw32
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:22:33 +0200

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:35:20 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> So cvs as of this instant works with msw only if wx is built
GC> monolithically--a somewhat bizarre restriction that you're
GC> trying to work around by building a shared libstdc++ .

 I hope this is the only problem currently but I'm not sure. In general I'm
very wary of using 2 different run-times inside the same process and here
we have at least 3 of them (2 DLLs + the main exe). Not to be pessimistic,
but I fully expect more trouble because of this in the future.

GC> I'd conclude that it's not a good use of your time because I think the
GC> following snippets from mailing-list messages posted by three of the
GC> MinGW developers suggest that
GC>  - they may not see GPL as being the issue, and, more conclusively,
GC>  - they want to make libstdc++ a dll in the long term

 Unfortunately the last mention of this (worthy) goal is from November
2004 so it doesn't seem to be very urgent. And doing it seems to imply
patching libstdc++ sources on gcc HEAD which is not an obvious thing to do
for a person external to the project (i.e. it's not obvious to get such
patches accepted).

GC> If Danny in particular wants to do this, but hasn't yet, then I would
GC> guess that it's rather difficult.

 I don't think it's very difficult but maybe I'm missing something.

GC> And we can live with the requirement to build wx monolithically.

 Let's hope we don't have any other problems because of multiple concurrent
CRTs...

 Regards,
VZ