lkdp-discuss

Re: [LKDP] Just a thought..

From: Paulo Andre'
Subject: Re: [LKDP] Just a thought..
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:14:00 +0000

* Boris Bezlaj (address@hidden) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:20:43PM +0000, Paulo Andre' wrote:
>
> Keep in mind that 2.5/2.6 is a "moving target" and as such very
> hard to follow. Unless waiting for 2.6, i see no point in changing
> the books every week..

Yes, I understand. I don't know how deep into writing the books you
guys already are but let me remind you that 2.5 has now entered the
feature freeze. This means, as you know, that no major changes will be
merged into the different kernel subsystems so it is no longer such a
moving target (although I agree that 2.4 is obviously much more static,
by definition). Thus, what we have right now is pretty much what will be in
2.6 in terms of the big picture.

> Some of us are more learning than documenting, so if we learn on 2.4,
> the books can be more easily rewamped to 2.6 kernel later.

I'm learning too 8) Still, I reiterate my former statements. If the new
kernel has reached a point where it is no longer suffering major
changes, why not document the latest stuff?

And also, don't get me wrong, but your logic of being easier to revamp
2.4 into 2.6 is fundamentally wrong. Considering the various subsystems
have changed so much during 2.5 development won't you have a double
effort to get it up to date when 2.6 is around?

Best regards,

                Paulo