listhelper-moderate

help-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval

From: help-gnu-emacs-owner
Subject: help-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 04:11:45 -0400

following mailing list posting:

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: mountaineering opinionated

At your convenience, visit:

    http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admindb/help-gnu-emacs

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: mountaineering opinionated Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 04:14:34 -0400 User-agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 (Windows/20070509)
Everyone Is Watching SREA! UP Again!

Score One Inc. (SREA)
$0.41 UP 2.5%

SREA continues its steady climb for the second week. UP nearly 400% in
the last two weeks, Stock reporting sites across the board are issuing
stock watch notices. Read the news, look at the numbers, and get on SREA
Friday!

Jeremy Andrews: Does the driver work on all OpenBSD architectures? But
financially we are under strain, and it is not letting us grow any of
our bigger plans.

There seems to be an issue that can be triggered by some settings of
bandwidth testing applications causing tx buffer underflows that we are
currently investigating. Jeremy Andrews: I understand that you can't
simply include the forcedeth driver in OpenBSD, as the driver is GPL'd.
But what am I talking about?
This is kind of sad since I still have a lot of respect for most FreeBSD
developers.

However, it's good enough to play ppracer, Cube, Warzone, Celestia, .
Damien Bergamini:  Drivers are important for an operating system. Damien
Bergamini:  Using a GPL'd driver as a specification to write another non
GPL'd driver requires a lot of carefulness. But what am I talking about?

The theme song for the upcoming OpenBSD release is titled "Blob!

Friends and I used to joke that Samuel Ramey had a clause in his
contracts mandating him baring his furry chest at some point. That's the
technical side.
NVIDIA still have their blob based one up on their website however.

Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these terms and
those published here.

Theo de Raadt: I don't have a problem with Linux; I just don't use it.

You can now find this fleet of overturned oil tankers in most major
Linux distributions, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and DragonFlyBSD.

What is it that attracts you to this lifestyle? Truth Publishing assumes
no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material.

"  His plea went out to the larger companies, "financially we are under
strain, and it is not letting us grow any of our bigger plans. de Raadt
and company are not asking for salaries, they're asking that people
don't simply take their money and shit in their faces for it. Indeed,
all network drivers in OpenBSD have a very similar structure making it
easy to borrow code from one driver to another.
It's the big companies that are using OpenBSD for their edge  boxes,
infrastructure, public servers, etc.

Roughly stated, painting with some broad strokes, the Linux vendors flat
out refused to help. ", a cautionary tale about the growing prevalence
of binary blobs among open source operating systems and where this might
lead. What the hell is that supposed to mean?
In our group, I always stick my nose into any new API which someone
builds, to try to see if I can help make sure it is just right. Yet
almost all of our donations really do come from individuals, and almost
none from companies using our software.
who are inexperienced, or so I used to think.

Jeremy Andrews: You refer to OpenSSH-p, the portable version of OpenSSH
that runs on other operating systems besides OpenBSD. Are you writing
this from a mosque or baptist church by any chance? Donations in the
form of new code also helps a lot, if not more than money.

reply zealots, you mean? Jeremy Andrews:  Why is TCP RX checksum
offloading disabled by default? Jeremy Andrews:  Are binary blobs a new
problem, or is this a problem that has existed for a long time? The
information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment
purposes only. Fortunately, we did not fall into this category. We
managed to sort out the last few problems that prevented the driver
working for some of our many testers just in time to make the next
release. There is nothing to stop them forking it or using older
versions.

In our group, I always stick my nose into any new API which someone
builds, to try to see if I can help make sure it is just right.

Jeremy Andrews:  On what grounds does NVIDIA and ATI have to threaten
legal action? Damien seemed to be quite interested in helping determine
what was wrong, and soon helped bang it into shape.
has full ownership of and takes sole responsibility for all content.

Jonathan Gray:  NetBSD have very recently included the driver in their
source tree, I have not heard from any other projects. Firmwares execute
on the device itself, meaning they are not tied to a particular OS,
while blobs execute on the host CPU, most of the time inside the kernel.

who are inexperienced, or so I used to think.

As for getting involved as a developer I wanted to add an option to ls,
saw how clean and elegant the code in the source tree was and became
addicted soon after. Then you have to forget how things are implemented
and write a new driver from scratch using only the information you
gleaned about the hardware. Jeremy Andrews: Why haven't we seen an
OpenCC, or OpenX? That also makes it very slow.
Jonathan Gray: Support wasn't considered for some time due to lack of
documentation but nForce Ethernet is turning up everywhere now, even in
low end Sun machines.
Indeed, all network drivers in OpenBSD have a very similar structure
making it easy to borrow code from one driver to another. Note that
there is a difference between binary blobs and firmwares. I'm just tired
of the various evangelical approach being taken by so many of the Linux
users and developers. If you're the they're the only ones who care about
it, then nobody else is going to do it for them. That does not qualify
it as a driver. The same thing could be said about Bill Gates, and he's
surely not right. Jeremy Andrews:  Are binary blobs a new problem, or is
this a problem that has existed for a long time?

In addition to the supported features described by Jonathan, the driver
also supports hardware VLAN tagging of transmitted packets.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm 252195ac395d7f2685d95d7632415d876b6621ad
of the body of the reply.

--- End Message ---