listhelper-discuss

Re: Debbugs-submit post from address@hidden requires approval

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Debbugs-submit post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:51:28 -0700

Glenn Morris wrote:
> I know these things happen. I forward these mails not as a complaint,
> but just so that you can train the Bayesian filter on these messages
> as non-spam.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound defensive.  I was just hoping to make
things a little more transparent by sending a description of things
happening behind the scenes.

Doing more investigation of things since the last message I think the
SpamAssassin Bayes database has become munged.  I posted a question to
the SA mailing list with more details but basically the nspam number
was only 1k not 60k and sizes don't match.  Something bad happened
causing it to be broken.  Probably the root cause of the recent false
negatives.

I am continuing to investigate this.  My next plan of action as soon
as I can squeeze the time in is to pull older snapshots from backup
and see what it was and when it went bad.  I will probably leave it
with an older version and see if it happens again soon to see if we
are rolling over some counter or some such.  We get enough mail
processed through it that I could see some bug in a rollover as
possible.  But it could have also been some file lock problem too.

> I suppose I don't need to forward the whole message, I
> could just send the message-id.

The message-id would allow me to search for the message and find it
from the queue.  I currently keep ten days worth of messages for being
able to look and debug and pull a message out from several days ago.

But having the entire message means I don't need to look for it.
Which is quite convenient.

> It happens very rarely. I'm happy to just forward things to
> listhelper-discuss (assuming it is useful for me to do so).

Yes!  Please do.  It is useful and the help is appreciated.

Bob