Re: [Linphone-users] Problem with app for IOS

From: Russell Treleaven
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Problem with app for IOS
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 13:13:00 -0400

Linphone can work without push, currently there is bug though.
One needs to toggle push on and off, then the socket will stay open in the background.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Juha Heinanen <address@hidden> wrote:
Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:

> So, for someone that uses its own sip server and wants to get push
> notifications on linphone, they have to:
>
>   - register as a developer to apple/google and obtain a developer
> (crypto) certificate
>   - build linphone by themselves (likely will require a different app
> name) and sign the app with their developer certificate
>   - deploy the custom linphone built app to the apple/google store
>   - get their sip users use the custom linphone app

Sounds really complicated and unpractical.

> This app should have some configuration mechanism that would allow to
> specify the apps to be waken up based on push notification payload. My
> doubt about being possible or not is more about the ability of those
> extra apps to be waken up by another app and behave as expected, so
> maybe those apps would also need a local "push notification"
> interface.

There is no need for push notifications at least in Android SIP
clients.  I got fed up with Linphone requiring them and wrote Baresip
based Android app that works fine without push.

The trick was to start Baresip from background service that is
re-started automatically if is killed due to lack of resources in some
lower end devices.  Currently my app registers every 12 minutes and
consumes way less than 10% of battery resources.

-- Juha