Re: [Linphone-users] linphone on iPad - RTP ok, but no outgoing sound on

From: Rohit Gupta
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone on iPad - RTP ok, but no outgoing sound on outgoing calls
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 18:39:26 +0800

The jitter seems to be very high – that justifies the static. Have you checked the sip nat settings? Looking at your network ips, nat should be “no”.

Can’t justify the headset / iOS 9 behaviour, though I doubt Linphone would have such a limitation. Does the app have permission to use external mike?

/Rohit

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 6:07 PM

That was about my first thought too. So I disabled every codec except PCMA - still the same problem. See the Wireshark screenshot below (192.168.7.177 is Linphone, 7.8 Asterisk and 7.21 the other phone).

I wouldn't say "voice is getting across but garbled and faint." - it's more like just static, not correlated to any sounds/taps on the microphone. Seems more like Linphone doesn't get any data from the headset's microphone.

I tried some more things:
• Installed Linphone on another iPad 2 - same issue.
• Tried another SIP account - same issue.
• Installed Linphone on an iPhone 4s (iOS 9.3.5, same as the iPad). No problem when using it "like a phone" with internal speaker & microphone. But when I connect "headset" (Apple Earpods that came with the phone), I get the same problem - no outgoing sound on outgoing calls. The microphone itself works, on incoming calls sound is ok.

So I retested on the iPad without the headset and yes, it actually works this way - if you speak directly into the in-built microphone. The sound is still very faint and I'm not sure how useable it will be in real life.

So, my conclusion so far - external microphone does not work on outgoing calls at least on iOS 9. Internal microphone works, but level is too low to be used handsfree.

--

marie