Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone Beta

From: Genghis Khan
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone Beta
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:58:52 +0200

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 06:19:08 +0400
Ilya Melnikov <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Genghis Khan" wrote:
> > You can try Salix OS (Slackware based distribution) which is
> > 1) Easy to use and to install for inexperienced users.
> > renaming line #7 to VERSION=${VERSION:-3.5.99.0}
> > Note: I renamed linphone-3.6-beta-1.tar.gz to
> > linphone-3.5.99.0.tar.gz
>
> Easy to use? How inexperienced users will guess this notes? :)
>
> Inexperienced users use binary packages.
> Most of users are inexperienced.
> More binary packages - much more beta-testers.

Salix OS is providing mainly binary packages which are installable with
slapt-get (or Gslapt front-end for slapt-get) where you can find all of
the official Slackware packages and also extra packages by Salix OS.

When you install packages from source, you might use slapt-src (or
Sourcery front-end for slapt-src) to install packages from SBo
(slackbuilds.org) with SlackBuild scripts or from Salix with SLKBUILD
scripts with merely 1 to 3 clicks.

All I did to build Linphone was download linphone.tar.gz
<http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.0/network/linphone.tar.gz>,
extract this archive, and put the source package provided by Margaux
Clerc inside the same folder where linphone.SlackBuild is at.

Build & Install: (this process takes less than a minute)

# sh linphone.SlackBuild
# spkg -i /tmp/linphone-3.5.99.0-i486-1_SBo.tgz

Voila!