Re: [Linphone-users] general questions

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] general questions
Date: 28 Jul 2002 01:15:45 +0200

Le ven 26/07/2002 à 17:51, Stephane Rossi a écrit :
> Hi everybody,
> Im a newbie in the world of VoIP and i have some questions very general,
> maybe you could help for some or give me addresses for tutorials :
> Question 1 :
> I want to be sure that I understand well :
> Voice   -->   Conversion-Analogical-Digital  -->  Compression (GSM ... see
> 2nd question)  --> RTP (encap.)  --> UDP  --> IP
> And the SIP protocol take care of all the sessions controls etc ...
> But actually i don't really where to put this SIP.
That's right. Sip operates on a different port.
> Question 2 :
> I make some searches on the different codec as GSM etc ... I found the GSM
> codec that seems to be good for my work, but I'm asking questions about how
> much does it take for load CPU.
> Do you know where i can find some test on this subject ?
The GSM codec consumes very few CPU (5% on PII 433 Mhz).
> Question 3 :
> I found nothing about how to use codec, so for now i'm trying to understand
> the Linphone code but do you know an address about this ?
Understanding on the CVS code will be easier. A lot of cleanups have
been made and the audio/codec/rtp architecture is much more clean than
on previous version. Instructions on for retrieving CVS are on