Re: [Linphone-developers] No codecs beside SPEEX/16000 working on

From: Sandrine
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] No codecs beside SPEEX/16000 working on
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 12:45:26 +0100

Hello Stefano,

First of all, I wish you a happy New Year!
Yes this answer comes a tad late, sorry for this.

For the compilation on Yocto with speex, it is indeed recommeded to use speex-bc when compiling
as there are optimisations there.

I am doing calls on the LAN from my Win7 Linphone to the linphonec on the Yocto Linux. With Speex/16000 enabled, no issues.
When I disable the Speex/16000, I am still able to establish the call and the application is saying "Media streams established", but there is no sound in neither direction.

The strange thing is that although I disabled the Speex/16000 in the config file, when I restart the application it would still see it as enabled:
2016-11-05 08:13:17:433 ortp-message-Codec speex/16000 fmtp=[vbr=on] number=-1, enabled=1) added to the list of possible codecs.

The logs don't show whether a codec is enabled or not.
For the codecs usage, a bit of explanation is necessary here, because this is ambiguous .

-In the logs , the message "added to the possible list of codecs" indicates all the codecs that are theoretically supported by linphone.
At this point in the logs, the config file with the codecs enabled  or disabled is not parsed. Therefore this is not an
information about the codec status.

-Then "ortp-message-Could not find encoder for SILK" indicates that media streamer did not find encoder/ decoder for codec X.

-Finally " ortp-message-Supported codec red/1000 fmtp= automatically added to codec list." shows that although this codec
is not defined in the .linphonerc config file, it has been found and added to the list of the supported codecs.

That being said, the fact that there is a difference when you enable or disable speex/16000 when you
call shows that something happens.
In the logs you sent with speex/16000 disabled, this codec is not proposed when initiating the call,
meaning it has successfully been disabled:
m=audio 7078 RTP/AVP 96 9 0 8 3 97 101 98
a=rtpmap:96 speex/8000
a=fmtp:96 vbr=on
a=rtpmap:97 speex/32000

And the call is using speex/8000
m=audio 7078 RTP/AVP 96 0 8 101
a=rtpmap:96 speex/8000
a=fmtp:96 vbr=on

But then it seems something weird is going on:

ortp-warning-Getting reference signal but no echo to synchronize on.
2016-11-05 08:16:41:446 ortp-message-===========================================================
2016-11-05 08:16:41:446 ortp-message-             AUDIO SESSION'S RTP STATISTICS
2016-11-05 08:16:41:446 ortp-message------------------------------------------------------------
2016-11-05 08:16:41:446 ortp-message-sent                                          0 packets
2016-11-05 08:16:41:447 ortp-message-===========================================================
2016-11-05 08:16:41:447 ortp-message-                  FILTER USAGE STATISTICS
2016-11-05 08:16:41:447 ortp-message-Name                Count     Time/tick (ms)      CPU Usage
2016-11-05 08:16:41:447 ortp-message------------------------------------------------------------
2016-11-05 08:16:41:448 ortp-message-MSSpeexEnc          0         0                   0

The sound card does  not encode anything.
Could it be that your sound card have trouble with this speex/8000? Or is it just the frequency here?
Maybe you can check this using " arecord " on your Yocto device.

Regarding adding other codecs for your audio call (opus...), check that the other side also proposes
these codecs too.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Sandrine Avakian