[Linphone-developers] Setting TOS in Linphone on Linux

From: Ettore Guadagnino
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Setting TOS in Linphone on Linux
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:24:29 +0200

Hello,

I'm a newbie of Linphone. I already looked for an answer to my question in the email archive, but I couldn't find anything satisfactory..

I'm using Linphone 3.5.2-10 on a Linux Debian PC to make voice calls (no-video) to a remote VoIP phone. I concurrently need to send a H.264 video stream from an AXIS network camera from the same Linux PC. Both flows are going to a remote LAN, which is connected to the Linux PC via a 3G network.

The quality of voice stream sent by Linphone and received at the remote VoIP phone is really bad: a lot of tick and pop sounds, and holes in the received audio.
Note that If I call from another VoIP phone instead from Linphone all is working perfectly.

I would like to set the TOS/DSCP bits in the IP packets of the of RTP voice stream sent by Linphone, so that they have higher priority with respect to the video stream(the TOS/DSCP bits of the VoIP stream sent by the phone in the reverse direction are set correctly !)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a way to do this until now: my version of Linphone on Linux always sets it to 0.

I find another email on the same subject in the developer archive, but it got no response http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/linphone-developers/2013-11/msg00046.html).

I also tried by setting the parameter
      audio_dscp=46
in the RTP section of the linphonerc file, but nothing changes.

I noticed that Linphone on Android setts by default DSCP=46 (which corresponds to TOS=5), which is good for me.

Can anyone help me understand what I'missing?

Thank you in advance.
Ettore

Ettore Guadagnino

mobile:   +39 335 7276841