Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone for iOS - latest version and features

From: BIENKOWSKI Guillaume
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] linphone for iOS - latest version and features?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:20:40 +0100

Hello John,

For point 2 you're right: sliding the app out of the task manager in iOS will prevent if from running in the background until you open it back.
This is not *our* design but a limitation from iOS (which is understandable).
Technically, with a transport different from UDP, the background task allows Linphone to be woken up about every 600 seconds to refresh the REGISTER on the SIP server. Also, the socket is left open by iOS and will wake the app up when data comes by. It's largely different from Android where the app is running all the time.

As for point 1, when first launched the application should ask you to authorize the use of push notifications. If you didn't see this, I believe either you installed the app over an existing Linphone application, or installing it from iTunes did something unexpected which prevented the pop-up from appearing.

Guillaume

Guillaume BIENKOWSKI
http://www.belledonne-communications.com/
sip:address@hidden

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:05 AM, John <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/02/14 19:30, BIENKOWSKI Guillaume wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> Remote provisioning is not a scheduled feature for Linphone in iOS right
> now but it might come in the future.

Thank you for that.

> On the other hand, you should be notified when a message arrives and the
> app is in background.

I have narrowed the behaviour down to two other problems:

1)  Installing linphone from iTunes did NOT make it appear in
Notification Center.  Rebooting the iPad made it appear, but all
notification settings were OFF.  So a reboot and a reconfigure can fix
this problem, although it would be nicer if this was not necessary.

2)  Once the Notification Center settings have been tweaked, if the
application is killed, and then the device rebooted, it will NOT start
immediately after boot, so no messages get through.  The application has
to be started manually.  This might be by design:  I believe that on
Android a "Force Stop" will prevent a background service from restarting
without user intervention, in order to give users a chance to protect
their battery life.  A similar rule could apply on iOS, but my knowledge
does not stretch that far.

Thanks for the prompt answer,

bfn,

John