Re: [Linphone-developers] Incoming video garbled (H264, MP4V-ES), no vid

From: Ghislain Mary
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Incoming video garbled (H264, MP4V-ES), no video with VP8
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:23:51 +0100

Hi Jeremy,

I looked at the logs and the network traces you provided. There are indeed decoding errors. However these errors are not in Linphone but in ffmpeg that Linphone uses to decode H.264 streams.
Searching for some of the decoding error messages (eg "out of range intra chroma pred mode" or "mb_type -6 in P slice too large at 4 7") brings a lot of results from people having the same kind of problem.
For example, http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2009-October/006410.html or https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/285.
So I'm afraid there is not much we can do in Linphone to support this kind of streams. You may try to use the latest version of ffmpeg that may fix this issue. Or if you have access to it, you can try to change the configuration of the encoder of the H.264 stream, but you'll need to find the encoding option that is causing the issue.

Cheers,
Ghislain