[Linphone-developers] memory leak in mediastreamer2

From: joakim
Subject: [Linphone-developers] memory leak in mediastreamer2
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:05:02 +0200

I have a problem with a memory leak when using mediastreamer2.

It is easily reproducible given the following preconditions:

- mediastreamer2 and mediastreamer.exe compiled with mingw on Fedora 17
- test on a Windows 7 machine
- install "manycam" or some other virtual webcam software
- enable a loopback preview, for instance like this:

mediastream.exe --local 3333 --remote localhost:3333 --camera 1 --payload 103

103 is the vp8 codec, but any video codec vill do.

the test will leak several megabytes a second.

The leak seems only to manifest when using Directshow to access the
camera, and with a virtual webcam.

I have worked on this for a while, and have tested the following
hyothesis fruitlessly:

- the leak seems to be within DS rather than MS, because I printed a
trace of the size of the frame buffer queue as MS sees it, and its
always 1

- I tried using "connectdirect" rather than "connect" in
msdscap-mingw.cc, to rule out bogus filters entering the chain. This
makes no difference, and I can also reproduce the issue on several
machines.

- adding an extra Release() for ImediaSample in  DSCapture::SampleCB
  makes no difference.

Since I cant use Valgrind on Windows, I'm a bit stuck. I could have used
wine+valgrind, but that combo doesnt seem to work, and the virtualwebcam
also is hard to make work in wine.

Any hints appreciated.

--
Joakim Verona