Re: [Linphone-developers] Why just ARMv7? [Linphone-android Video Calls]

From: Guillaume BERAUDO
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Why just ARMv7? [Linphone-android Video Calls]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:25:22 +0200

Hi,

> Are ARMv7 instruction set processors the *only* ones that support
> video calls?
> and if Yes, Why?
Video codecs are heavily optimized for NEON instruction set which is
found on armv7 architecture. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ARM_microprocessor_cores

> I mean: Where should we change in the source to support another
> processors (ARM11 in our case)?
ARM11 is ARMv6 architecture and doesn't support NEON.
You may want to use hardware accelerated codecs; however they are not
available from userspace in usual Android distributions.

Regards,

Guillaume Beraudo