Re: [Linphone-developers] patch: smart QOS management

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] patch: smart QOS management
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:52:49 +0200

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for re-submitting this patch !
I think it is interesting in the way that it gives the application some
interesting data to analyze in order to take actions on bitrate for
example.
However I feel uncertain about a few things:
- the QosEvent finally exposes some data that can also be found in the
RtpStatistics object: maybe these two objects could be merged.
- about the filtering of the QosEvent to decide whether or not they
should be reported by lib: shouldn't this be made by the application
instead ?
- and what why not reporting QosEvent for statistics of the recv side
(local packet loss, local interarrival jitter...). Of course the
application cannot take any action based on that but this could be
useful for call quality metrics.
- I have also some demand for an API to get fullness and size of the
jitter buffer...

I would like to take some additional time to think about that in order
to avoid to have at the end 2 or 3 different APIs to access stream
quality measurement information. Once I get a clearer picture and I will
certainly reuse your patch to implement this new "qos & statistics "
api.

I hope you won't be to frustrated if your patch isn't applied
immediately.
I remember I have also the QT capture ms2 filter to test and integrate
(normally by next week).

Best regards,

Simon