[Linphone-developers] Replacing the camera and display filters

From: M. D.
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Replacing the camera and display filters
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:21:10 -0500

Hello all,

I am working on a project quite unrelated to video conferencing.
However, this project requires a lot of real time video transmission
between sites, so I though linphone would be a good fit.

For integrating linphone into my project, I have written a new video
input filter and a new output display filter.  These filters don't
actually access a webcam or a display, instead the input filter reads an
image from a shared buffer and the display filter writes the received
image into another shared buffer.

Looking through the code in videostream.c, it looks like it is tailored
for a specific case, which doesn't fit my scenario well.  My program
will always use my two filters, and shouldn't ever try to use the camera
filters or the display filters.  I only want to utilize session
management, encoding/decoding, and transmission.  Furthermore, since my
display filter doesn't put anything on the screen, a lot of the
expectations of a display filter (resizing, refreshing, ...) aren't
necessary which led me to creating a generic output filter, not a
display filter.

I was hoping I could just edit videostream.c::video_stream_start and
swap out the input and output display filters with mine, but that
doesn't seem to work well.

Do you have any recommendation on a good way to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
-m