Re: [Linphone-developers] Bizarre lack of video because of "default alsa

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Bizarre lack of video because of "default alsa device" setting
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:15:08 -0400

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:46 (+0100), Simon Morlat wrote:

> Hi Jim,

> Very interesting bug !
> I'm pretty sure it's a driver bug.
> Of course audio device and video device are totally unrelated in
> linphone internal processing.
> My hypothesis is that the ALSA default device might the camera's
> microphone. And of course it shares usb resources with the video driver
> of the camera.
> When you select SB Audigy (which is a real soundcard, not the usb
> camera's microphone), it works because the camera is only used for
> video.
> This is a feeling based on things I already saw after some time with my
> own Logitech Pro 5000 camera on one of my computers.

> The second log shows no error: every thing happens as if the video
> driver didn't deliver any frames.

Simon,

Good call on the 'default device'.  It turns out that my desktop went
through a power bump, and on reboot it assigned the USB device as card
0, so it is now (presumably) the default device.

It is odd that the driver would do this.  Back in the old days when
gnomemeeting/ekiga worked, I used this webcam without problems.
Perhaps the pwc driver has gone down hill since the driver became part
of the standard kernel (it used to require a third-party driver to
make it work).

I guess I need to report this problem elsewhere, thanks.

                                Jim