Re: [Linphone-developers] head configure errors

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] head configure errors
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:33:28 +0100

> Anyway, dunno why wasn't automatically found..
> after copying it to the m4/ dir I have some progress.
> Still lots of other m4 files are missing.
> So, what's the policy to use ? (I see we *do* have some macro
> files for external dependencies under the m4/ directory)

The m4/ directory contains some macros already provided in /usr/share/aclocal
in order for any developper to run autogen.sh or modify Makefile.ams without
all the .m4 dependencies.
However I'm not convinced this is ideal: this duplicate files and can make
confusing bugs if the macros in /usr/share/aclocal become incompatible with
the ones in m4/.
Actually the macros present in m4 are macros I've written (such as exosip.m4),
and macros automatically installed by gettextize (the command that adds
gettext support to a package). For those ones this is clearly a black box, I
don't know how useful they are, I trust gettextize for that.

My preferred policy would be that developpers that wish to run autogen.sh
install previously all m4 dependencies, and thus do not distribute copies of
those .m4 in m4/ directory.

Currently the only packages I know they need to be installed to run autogen.sh
are intltool and gettext (for ubuntu/debian: perhaps they have different
names on other distribs).

Hope that helps !

Simon