Re: [Linphone-developers] Oss driver support

From: Daniel Kabs [ML]
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Oss driver support
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:43:57 +0200

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 <address@hidden> wrote:
>I modyfied msossread.c (r-gran= 160 * 2; in "ms_oss_read_start")
>2) What is the  impact on changing  r->gran=(512*r->freq)/8000 ; to
>r->gran= 160 * 2; ?
>  are there any other value  for  "r->gran=" that can be better ?

For me, it made the whole thing work :-)

I can only tell about 0.12.2 because I havend tried the 1.0 yet:

Every 20ms the soundcard is read, as snd_card_has_data() always returns
true (because there are always some samples digitized and ready to be
read - but you don't know how many). The read() wants to get 256
samples (512 bytes=r->gran) and hangs in the driver until the requested
number of samples have been digitized.  Thus I got a "jerky" output.

Reducing r->gran to 160*2, this way the one end of the fifo reads as
many bytes from the soundcard as the other end of the fifo writes to
the network.

I don't know why the original code works with OSS and ALSA cards,
though. :-)

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
Germany