Re: The demise of ly:multi-measure-rest::percent

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: The demise of ly:multi-measure-rest::percent
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 17:40:27 +0100

On Fri, 2024-05-03 at 18:01 +0200, Hans Aikema wrote:

> > On 3 May 2024, at 15:34, Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2024-05-03 at 09:25 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > > Hi Richard,

> > > How is this
> > >
> > >   \repeat percent 2 { c c c c }
> > >
> > > not “a single piece of Lilypond syntax at the place they want to
> > > tsee
> > > the "%"?
> >
> > The user sees "\repeat percent 2" then the notes c c c c and then a
> > "}"
> > - something before the notes and something after, "after" being
> > where
> > they get the "%" appearing in the typeset.
> > You can insert such syntax with Denemo, but most users would get
> > tripped up, they want to put in the notes then the "%" and then
> > carry
> > on with more stuff.
> >
> > Richard
>
> If I were to see such a source,

you wouldn't do it if you were going to look at the "source", you would
use the nice LilyPond syntax that is for the purpose. There is nothing
to stop you doing that in Denemo. But you would have to be aware of the
"source" which most users are not.

>  with rests where notes are supposed to be I think I’d start
> screaming and shouting what kind of an idiot put a rest where there
> is music.
>
> Apparently humans differ in there preferences

No, I think all humans would share that preference to look at clean
LilyPond if looking at LilyPond code is what they wanted to do. The
reason I got involved with Denemo is that I wanted to generate the
syntax for figured bass by playing the relevant notes, rather than
entering a string of <6 4> <5 3> codes that had to match up with the
durations of the notes written elsewhere in the file - i.e. I wanted a
quick and musical way of getting a lovely typeset. It worked - I have
about a thousand sonatas typeset to prove it.

best wishes,

Richard