Re: \after … \beforeLast?

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: \after … \beforeLast?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 12:19:51 -0700

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 10:31 AM Pierre-Luc Gauthier <p.luc.gauthier@gmail.com> wrote:
Le jeu. 2 mai 2024, à 13 h 08, Knute Snortum <ksnortum@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Perhaps I'm not getting the need for this command as you could using an empty chord at the end of the repeat to do the same thing:
>
> {
>   <>(\<
>   \after 2 \>
>   \repeat unfold 8 {e''16 d''} <>)\!|
> }

The above example would not work if I add another note :

{
  \repeat unfold 8 {e''16 d''} <>\f |
  c'1 |
}

The "empty chord" syntax (which probably has a name? (and is not a
chord in my understanding)) pushes the _expression_ to the next event.

Yes, you're right that the empty chord (this is what I've heard others call it) does not actually put the event at the end of the measure, but the beginning of the next measure. I use a different context for all my dynamics and I've gotten so used to typing...

{
  s2...\< s16\! |
}

...that I do it almost automatically.  But I can see now that a "fromEnd" command would be useful.

--
Knute Snortum