Re: landscape orientation differences between versions

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: landscape orientation differences between versions
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 16:30:55 +0200

Hello Steff,

Am 04.05.19 um 15:48 schrieb address@hidden:
Hello everybody

I'm working with Lilypond for several months now, and my experiments get
more and more realistic and interesting ;-)

Great! Welcome to LilyPond.

  So I will follow up with
specific questions soon and hope someone may be able to give me advice.

As I'm new to this list, I would like to ask how I should handle the
following observation:

Let's start with the following code fragment:

{code}
\version "2.18.2"

\book {
   \paper {
     #(set-paper-size "a5" 'landscape)
   }
   \score {
     \new Staff
     <<
       { \relative c'{ c d e f}}

     \layout {
{code}

When I render this code with Lilypond v2.18.2, the PDF appears in
landscape view as expected - be it in Adobe Reader or in the Frescobaldi
score view.

When I render this code with Lilypnd v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
portrait orientation (and displayed so in the viewers mentionned).

When I change the version hint in the code to
{code}
\version "2.19.83"
{code}
and render the code with Lilypond v2.19.83, the PDF is rendered in
portrait orientation.

*Summary*
File version hint    Lilypond version   PDF orientation
2.18.2               2.18.2             landscape
2.18.2               2.19.83            portrait
2.19.83              2.19.83            portrait

Is this a bug? Where to post it? Or have I missed something?

1)
The \version string is not really a hint as you seem to understand it. You should rather take it as an indication for the *minimum* version to be use (although that is not the technical meaning of it). You *can* tell Frescobaldi to use that information to determine which installed version to be used for compilation (Frescobaldi will take the LilyPond version with the next higher version number), but LilyPond itself will only use the string to determine if the document's version requirement is set (if your file states \version "2.19.83" and you compile it with 2.18.2 it will produce an error message).

2)
What you see is an intended change that happened during the 2.19 development cycle to remove an inconsistency in the input language.

[but I see others have already answered that ...]

However, for your use case it seems you'll have to decide whether to use the 2.18 or the 2.19 version (and learn about the convert-ly tool to update existing input files. Generally you should really go directly for 2.19. Labelling it "development version" is really an understatement, and the improvements have really been significant.

HTH
Urs

Thanks in Advance
Steff