Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 15:23:10 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> Frankly, I am not overly interested in tap-dancing around the rules
>> Apple makes in order to keep its users from benefitting from software
>> freedom.  When the rules Apple makes prohibit us from providing LilyPond
>> on MacOSX in a useful and reasonably sustainable manner, the conclusion
>> is "don't buy a Mac if you want to use LilyPond".  When Apple demands
>> that we buy into Apple hardware for providing LilyPond or else, I
>> consider it reasonable to choose "else".
>
> That’s a bit extreme, isn’t it?

It is an extreme amount of bullshit, yes.  But the party responsible for
the extreme conditions for using an Apple SDK for the sake of providing
software making it more compelling to buy an Apple is Apple.

If they don't want software to be compiled for their systems in a
reasonable and sustainable manner in connection with Free Software, the
party to complain to is Apple.  They set the rules.  It's not our job
sticking out our necks ignoring those rules and making us targets for
their legal department.

--
David Kastrup