Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 14:25:17 +0100

Sven Axelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 12:59, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Apple disallows using the OSX SDK on non-Apple hardware.  That
>> definitely is a dealbreaker for GUB.
>>

> If that is the problem, couldn't we get around it by running GUB in a
> virtual machine on a Mac?

Frankly, I am not overly interested in tap-dancing around the rules
Apple makes in order to keep its users from benefitting from software
freedom.  When the rules Apple makes prohibit us from providing LilyPond
on MacOSX in a useful and reasonably sustainable manner, the conclusion
is "don't buy a Mac if you want to use LilyPond".  When Apple demands
that we buy into Apple hardware for providing LilyPond or else, I
consider it reasonable to choose "else".

Apple defines the limits of the usefulness of its computers as a
platform using legal means.  We are not doing its users a favor by
pretending this to be different.

There might be some way using just a Darwin SDK.  But it's well possible
that we'll just have to cease providing cross-compiled versions for
MacOSX ourselves and leave the job of creating non-official MaxOSX
versions from our comparatively generic sources to separate projects
involved with the Mac.

--
David Kastrup