Fwd: Re: extended piano 4 staves system

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Fwd: Re: extended piano 4 staves system
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 13:01:20 +0100

Forgot CCing to the list ...

Betreff: Re: extended piano 4 staves system
Datum: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:02:46 +0100
Von: Urs Liska <address@hidden>
An: Peter Renner-Motz <address@hidden>

Hi Peter,

there's no simple solution to cover *100%* of what you are looking for, but generally you are thinking too complicated.

Basically this is done not by adding staff lines to the upper and lower staff but by adding real staves. You want to have a PianoStaff that includes four staff definitions. An arbitrary number of voices can then freely move around between the staves.

One thing to note is that the staves have to be "kept alive" when there is no music playing in them.

The following score is one way how you can write that. As it is one thing it does *not* provide is the ability to autochange the staff, which probably only works between the middle two staves. I assume it should be feasible to write a function that can distribute pitches over more than two staves, but that's (AFAIK) not a readily available functionality.

HTH
Urs

\version "2.19.82"

% Needed to keep unused staves alive
keepAlive = { s1*6 }

% Right hand music
right = \relative {

}

% Left hand music
left = \relative {
  <> % needed to make the staff change possible
  \change Staff = "four"
  c,,,4 e g c |
  e g
  \change Staff = "three"