Lyricmode Voices within Repeat Volta

From: Mike iLL
Subject: Lyricmode Voices within Repeat Volta
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 17:18:53 -0600

What I’m aiming to do is have a “chorus” which includes a non-lyrical ending, followed again by verses, each with varied notation.

It looks like:

START SONG
Melody and Lyrics
Melody Only
FIRST ENDING
Melody and Lyrics
SECOND ENDING
Melody and Lyrics
REPEAT SIGN

I imagine I would want:

Repeat Volta
Voice associated with \lyricsto.
Voice not associated with \lyricsto.
Alternative
Voice associated with \lyricsto.
Alternative
Voice associated with \lyricsto.

I seem to be almost there, but the repeat signs are not produced by the following code:

melody = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 3/4
  \set Score.voltaSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 3/4)
  #(ly:expect-warning "cannot end volta")
  \repeat volta 2 {
\new Voice = "chorus" {
\voiceOne
c2. | d | e | d |
c |
}
e4 d c | e4 d c | e4 d c |
}
\alternative {
\new Voice = "verse" {
{
c2. | d | e | f |
g | f | e | d |
}
{
c | d | e | f |
e | f | e | c |

chorus =  \lyricmode {
These are words they are.
}

verse =  \lyricmode {
This one here will
be the first verse.
This one here will
be the se -- cond.
}

harmonies = \chordmode {
  c2.
}

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames {
      \set chordChanges = ##t
      \harmonies
    }
    \new Staff  {
    \new Voice = "main" { \melody }
  }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "chorus" \chorus
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "verse" \verse

I’m not sure if that’s because of the \new Voice within the \alternative section, or perhaps something else. Maybe the approach here is totally off-base.

Thanks a lot, community, for your feedback.

Mike iLL Kilmer