Re: \overwrite, \set, \tweak, ...

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: \overwrite, \set, \tweak, ...
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 12:58:22 +0100

Am 29.01.19 um 12:44 schrieb Klaus Ethgen:

Hi Pierre,

Am Di den 29. Jan 2019 um 12:30 schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider:
See:
-
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/the-set-command.de.html
-
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/the-override-command.de.html
-
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/the-tweak-command.de.html
I read them multiple times before.

I have to admit that the tweak command seems to be different (for the
applying scope) but the set and override makes no difference for me.

\set changes a property of a *context*, for example the Voice or the Staff while \override changes the property of an object (grob) like NoteHead, Beam etc.

The scheme construct in the override command does not make it more
clear. (Ok, I have to admit that I am Perl or C programmer and that I
have quite problems with the scheme syntax.)

Why do I need to use override for one parameter and set for another?

As said above they apply to different targets.

And
how do I decide when to use one or the other?

You have to find out if what you want to change is a property of the context or the graphical object. Essentially these are documented in

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/contexts and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/all-layout-objects

However, these "internal references" are pretty hard to digest, and to some extent you just have to acquire some familiarity with the matter to become comfortable with all of this. But discerning between contexts and layout objects as targets should be a good start.

HTH
Urs

Regards
    Klaus
- -- Klaus Ethgen http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <address@hidden>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C