Re: Overrun of right margin

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Overrun of right margin
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:12:59 -0800

On 2019-01-19 4:56 pm, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Problem solved after much deconstruction.

I am setting a string quartet. In this section almost every note has a
glissando, and some become to small to see. So I set this:

        \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #5
        \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods =
#ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods

This works fine to give the minimum length of the glissandi. It turns out that this was forcing the score over the edge of the paper, not a rhythmic error. Adjusting that solves the problem. It's only when there are a large number of glissandi in the line that it occurs. I report this here in case
it may help future archive searchers.

This is probably because glissandi are unbreakable by default. If you have one overlapping a bar line, then LilyPond cannot break there.

Consider the following:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{
  \override Glissando.minimum-length = #5
  \override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Glissando.breakable = ##t
  \repeat unfold 32 { f'8\glissando e''8\glissando } f'1
}
%%%%

If you omit setting 'breakable to true, you'll see the result extends all on one line.

-- Aaron Hill