[newbie] Some \markup stuff

From: Mark Probert
Subject: [newbie] Some \markup stuff
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 15:15:18 +1100

Hi, all.

I've hit a small snag which I can't find an elegant solution for.  In
the following snippet I want to get the verbb text to show as italic.
I can surround each element with \markup \italic{ xx } but that is
ugly.  And I can't seem to see anything obvious jumping out of the
documentation to help.

Second question: I want to replace the "G" in verba with a Greek Upper
Gamma (Γ doesn't work). Is there a simple way of doing this?

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

TIA .. mark.

---< cut >---

chant = \relative c { \clef bass g1 a b c d e }
verba = \lyricmode { G A B C D E }
verbb = \lyricmode { ut re mi fa sol la }

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "melody" \chant
    \new Lyrics = "one" \lyricsto melody \verba
    \new Lyrics = "two" \lyricsto melody \verbb

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"