Re: Problem with german umlauts and with mapping text to notes

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: Problem with german umlauts and with mapping text to notes
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 14:57:15 +0100

Hi Klaus,

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 2:50 PM Klaus Ethgen <address@hidden> wrote:

- First there is the German umlauts. As you can see in the example, it
  is correct encoded in UTF-8 but the umlauts are encoded as "??".
  I did already try to use no bomb or even in latin1 encoding. But
  nothing helped.

They encode fine on my side. You need to set up Lily to use the right fonts. See: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/fonts. I find that Linux Libertine looks superb in a wide range of applications.

- The second problem is about aligning the text with the notes. As you
  can see, it never get aligned correctly. I put it in the file in two
  versions. The first is without any hint and the second is with all
  hints. None of them has the proper aligning (Starting with "Roter"
  over two notes, then "Mond" over one and the next note without text.
  After that, "überm" over two notes and "Silbersee" over three and so
  on.

looks like you're having problems with spacing. See here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#placing-syllables-horizontally