Re: The composition process doesn't get disrupted using Lily Pond?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: The composition process doesn't get disrupted using Lily Pond?
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 13:18:27 -0800

On 2018-12-30 10:04 am, Malte Meyn wrote:
Am 30.12.18 um 18:28 schrieb Yakir Arbib:
I mean if you are composing for more than one stave (I.E. piano and
cello or string quartet) how do you keep track of the music if each
stave has to be coded separately?

Many people write exactly one measure per line, use bar checks (the
symbol | that checks whether there is a bar line where you expect it),
write a bar number comment every 5 bars etc.

There is also the parallel music feature. In this way, you can keep all of the parts together, which seems to be helpful for piano parts. I presume it could work for additional staves for other instruments as well.

What I would suggest is breaking up a score into many small sections (or subsections). That way, you can keep the related parts ordered together in the input even if they are in series. It also makes it faster to locate where to make a change, in contrast to having one, monolithic variable for each part.

%%%%
  sectionI.piano.rightHand = ...
  sectionI.piano.leftHand = ...
  sectionI.viola = ...