Handbell mallets

From: Rick Kimpel
Subject: Handbell mallets
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 05:58:21 +0000

All,
In handbell music, there is an articulation for playing the bell with a mallet while it is on the table. It looks like a "stopped" symbol near the note head, with a "staccato" articulation just beyond that. I can get reasonable results for notes near the top and bottom of the staff, but when I have something like

one of the two will always look bad. Ideally, the + will be in the staff near the note head. Any ideas on how to achieve this without tweaking each articulation? I have half a mind to just use staccato and a note in the score.

https://www.handbellworld.com/images/HandbellNotation/MalletWithHandbellOnTable.jpg

Thanks,
Rick